Mom told me this story, and she should probably be the one telling it, but she isn't online, so I will.
When Grandma was dying she was in the Panguitch hospital. In fact, Mom, Aunt May and I were visiting with her just a few minutes before she died. Grandma was not awake. We all three made the decision to go home for a little while, but I believe Aunt May stayed with her a few more minutes after we left and was with her when she died. I drove straight up to my mother-in-law's house and Mom called me just a few minutes after I got there.
Grandma's room at the hospital was filled with cards made by the Primary children of Hatch. She had taught Primary right up to the time when she was hospitalized. I picked up one of the cards and it read, "I hope you will get better and come home, but if you don't, and you die, will you please give my Grandma Maggie a hug for me in heaven and tell her I love her?"
Grandma told me not long before she died that she had never worked in Relief society, that she had worked in the Primary, Nursery and Sunday School for most of her life. She was in the service of the Lord right to the end.
Mom said that one day she was at the hospital when Dr. Henrie came out to talk to her. He said, "You should be very proud of your mother. She is dying. I watch people die all the time in my job. I have noticed that people go out in one of two ways. They either go out swearing or praying. Your mother is constantly praying, even when she is not conscious of it, and she isn't praying for herself, she is praying for the loved ones she will leave behind. You can tell the kind of life people live by the way they die, and I can tell that your mother has lived a worthy life."
But we all knew that, didn't we?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment