I wanted to post a dream I had about Grandpa and Grandma Great. I had this dream back in March and still to this day I can't figure out why I was privileged to have had it. I wasn't really going through any trials (except being pregnant with Lukas) and I didn't feel like I needed to have this dream for any particular reason. All I can think of was that they wanted to say hi. I wrote it down in my journal so here it is:
"31 March 2007
I had a dream last night that I would like to write down so that I never forget. I dreamed I was in the car with my dad going on a trip. When I asked him where we were going , he said, “To Hatch,” meaning Hatch, Utah, where my grandparents live. I immediately took a gasp of air as I thought to myself, “Oh, I’ll get to see Grandma and Grandpa Huntington!” When I turned to say this to my dad, he looked at me and nodded, already knowing what I was thinking. The next thing I knew, we were there. I walked in the house and saw my Grandma Allred in the bathroom with another woman standing in front of her who had her back to me. When she turned around, I recognized her as my Grandma Huntington. She was short, about 5’2” I would think, with auburn hair pulled back in a bun. She looked neither old nor young. Her face was smooth without the wrinkles of age and she was wearing a royal blue silk dress. I went to her and hugged her. I cried as I hugged her and said to her, “I haven’t seen you in such a long time!” I hugged her until I sensed from Grandma Allred that I needed to go. I pulled back and Grandma Huntington looked up at me and didn’t say anything but just smiled. I thought to myself, “I wonder where Grandpa (Huntington) is?” and then found myself outside. I could see Grandpa up the street at the corner. He was taller than I expected him to be. I remember thinking he must be as tall as Grandpa Allred or Jason , and this surprised me. I had never realized he was this tall, probably because he was always so sick and in bed in my memories. He was wearing a white single-breasted suit with a coat that was longer than normal, about halfway down his thighs. He had on a white straw hat and carried a cane but didn’t use it to walk with but to point and gesture with. He had a crowd of people around him and he was talking excitedly with them but I couldn’t hear what he was saying. I wanted to go see him and hug him also but I heard someone say, “No, he’s too busy right now.” I said, “He looks so healthy! His face is full and he’s standing straight and tall.” I can remember feeling so happy to see him this way because my last memory of him was right before he died. He was really thin and hunched over then and his cheeks were sunken in, probably more from not wearing his teeth than anything else, but I remember how sickly he looked then compared to how well he looked in my dream. This is when I woke up. I laid awake for quite a while wondering why I had dreamed this. I have never before in my life had a dream about someone who has died although I’ve always wished I could. The feeling of hugging my Grandma and the happiness I felt in seeing her and Grandpa stayed with me throughout the rest of the week. I can still feel it as I sit here and think about hugging her and seeing Grandpa. I’m still not sure why I dreamed about them. I really hardly knew them although I’ve always felt that I did through listening to stories about them from my Mother and Grandmother. It’s nice to know that they cared enough about me to take the time to visit me and let me feel their love for me. In a way I felt they were letting me know that they are nearby and are aware of me and what’s going on in my life. I’ve always felt this but it was nice to have a sort of confirmation of it."
So there it is. As I go back and read this, even though it's been months, it still makes me cry and I can still feel those same feelings I had of happiness and excitement to see them. It was a nice dream that I felt I should share with the family.
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing Keira...
I really am a believer that the dead can visit us in our dreams. I had a dream about Grandma too, that was kind of similar. I'm not sure if I've posted it before or not.
Post a Comment