Tuesday, July 1, 2008

hunting with dad

I am sure that I have told this story to several of you, but I believe that some have not heard it, so I am writing it on the blog for everyone.
Dad loved to hunt, and after his accident, he couldnt walk very well and was weak but still loved to hunt.
One year, he told me that he wanted to go to the top of pole canyon, up the jump-up-trail and out on top to look for deer. I told him that it was such a steep climb that I didnt know if he could make it. He said that with my help he would like to try.
We drove out there and with my help, he made it to the top. I was hoping that he wouldnt see a deer and shoot it, but HE DID and so the problem was how to get him, me, the deer, and our guns down off the mountain.
I told dad that we were in a bad way as I couldnt carry the deer and help him down the mountain. His reply was shocking, he said, well, we will just let the deer carry us down the mountain. I thought he had lost if for a while, until he said, you point the head down the hill and turn the deer on its back, then I will set in the back and carry the guns. You set in front and I will put my feet in your lap and wrap my arms around the hind legs and then hold on to the from feet, then you hold the deers head up and guide with your feet and we will sleigh ride down the hill just fine. So I did as he said, and to my astonishment, we rode the deer down the hill and I only had to drag the deer about a couple of hundred yards to where I had parked my truck. I have thought of this often and altho he had brain damage from the accident, that was a fantastic idea....I will bet that he had done this sleigh ride before some time....What great memories these little incidents bring as one sets and thinks of the great times we had together...Keep in touch and I send love and blessings to all. .........Lonehawk

No comments: