Friday, July 4, 2008

Dad and his fishing

One time just after the WWll, dad heard about a large fish that lived under the bridge just north of Hatch, several people had hooked it but was not able to land it, so dad started planning on how to catch the fish.
I wanted to go down there, and fish for it, but dad said "its not the right time to fish for it now,because the moon is too full, and the fish will feed during the night, so we will wait for a few days and then go try". A few days later, he said "OK son, its time to go fishing". We went to the river and caught several Bull heads and went on down to the bridge. Several days before we went fishing, dad went to the bridge and took his wire cutters and swam the river under the bridge, cutting off all the wire that had collected under there.
The first cast that dad made, he hooked into the big fish, and the fight was on. The fish made a run up the river, with dad tight behind, then it went down river, with dad right behind.
As dad was fighting the fish, a car stopped by us on the road, and a man got out and watched for a few minutes, then he was on the river bank with us running up and down the river and gettine more excited each step. The man was well dressed in a suit, with shinney shows and the whole works.
Finally, the fish started to tiring, and would roll up so that we could see it, and it was a whopper.......The man got more excited and was jumping up and down on the bank and chearing dad to land him. Finally, the fish rolled on its side and dad started to bring it to the band, when all at once, the man jumped in the water, suit, shooes and all, grabbing the fish and thru it up on the bank, then jumped on the fish, he was so excited that the wetness didnt bother him at all. He said " my -----man I havent had this much fun in years".
We took the fish to Adolph Lukers service station on the north sideof Hatch and weighed it, and it weighed 9 and a half pounds. Lukers put it on ice and kept it for several days, to show the people what kind of fish was inthe river.
The man that had helped us turned out to be a dentest from LA area, and was on his way to Salt Lake for a dental convention. He stayed a few days and he and dad went to Panguitch Lake fishing, and had a great time.
The next summer, a truck pulled up at the house, and ask dad where he wanted them to put the boat, dad said, "I didnt order a boat", and they said that it was paid for and they were to deliver it to him. A few days later, the truck arrived again, and ask were to put the boat motor, again, dad said, "I didnt order a motor", and they said that it was paid for and they were to deliver it there. A few weeks later, the old man arrived, and said " well, twist, it looks like you got the boat and motor, now we can go to the lake and not wait for anyone to rent us one of there leaking tubs".
The old man finally bought a place in Hatch just north of town and built a house there, and would come out each year just to fish with dad.
What great memories one has when we set down to the computer to tell the stories of our association with Dad and Mom.....Will write later and relate a story about Mom...Keep in touch and I send love and blessings to all........Lonehawk

1 comment:

Delirious said...

When Grandpa wasn't well, I used to sit and listen to him talk. Sometimes I couldn't understand what he said, but I felt it was important to listen anyway. Sometimes he would get emotional as he talked. I do remember once him telling me about some big fish that got away from him. He was describing in great detail where to go to find it. I tried hard to listen because it was so important to him that someone know, but frankly, I didn't know the locations well enough to understand what he was talking about. When I think about Grandpa, one of my most vivid memories is this conversation and him trying to tell me where to catch that big fish.