I have posted several stories from Grandpa, and still have a few more that he told me that I would like to write down, but this is a memory of Grandma.
The main thing I remember about Grandma is that she saved EVERYTHING. It seemed like if you needed it, she probably had it...somewhere.
"Grandma, do you have a 36 thread, left-handed, phillips head axle bolt?"
"Now let me see, I believe I have one of those, now where did I put it?"
She would then proceed to poke through a box here, and a bin there, and soon she would come out with your item. I don't know what kind of system she used to store everything she had, but she always seemed to know where it was. Grandma was a better source than any store I have ever been in. And I'm not sure how it started, but she was also the town equivalent of the Goodwill store. Donations to her stock of items came into her house constantly. I don't know where she put it all. Mostly, I guess it went right back out again to whoever was in need of it. Grandma and Grandpa never had alot of money, but they always seemed to have what someone needed, and they were willing to share.
Have a great Day. Stick.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Grandma used to take all of the clothes that people would give to her, and go through them carefully. She would wash them if needed. Then she would look them over and decide which ones could be cut up in to rags. She liked cotton for rags. She would cut them up, and bag them up. Then she would sell them to the gas stations to use as oil rags. I think she got something like 5 cents a pound for them. The money that she earned she would give to the DUP museum. Then the other clothes would be put away according to size. I remember many times when a family with alot of children would come to visit and she would bring out a bag of clothes for them to look through. I know that she probably really helped many families that were in need. They always seemed so happy to get the clothes.
One time I was looking in one of Grandma's drawers, I think in the buffet. I found an old bandaid tin - which she loved to use to put small things in. This tin was labeled: "Rusty bobby pins" guess what was in it? Yup - rusty bobby pins! Go figure!
now here's the real question - what do you use rusty bobby pins for?
Grandma got some old gym lockers from Uncle Pat when he worked as the school custodian. She put them in the old garage out back,and stored clothes in them. Often someone would call her up and ask her if she had any boy's pants a certain size, or something like that, and she would take them out to the old lockers, which were all labeled as to what was within.
She also saved food scraps for people's pigs after she didn't have pigs any more, and often she would send a plate of food to someone she thought might need it.
Also, Aunt May and Aunt Reva would take old clothes and cut other clothes out of them. Once someone gave her a pair of striped denim pants. They helped me cut out a pair of overalls from them for my little boy, and they showed me how to use the metal part of women's garters to make the part on the strap that went over the button. They also made dolls and stuffed animals out of old clothes, and of course, quilts.
Post a Comment