Thursday, June 26, 2008

TRUTH OR FICTION?

One summer when we were in Hatch Grandpa said to me, "I saw a man die once." "He said he had gone south to another place when he was young.I can't remember where he said he went, I want to say Texas or Mexico, but I'm not sure.
He was walking down the street and he heard a fight start out in the bar across from him. He said a young man came staggering out, clutching his abdomen. He had been stabbed.
He said he watched in horror as this man's intestines came pouring out of his stomach onto the sidewalk. Grandpa said he didn't know a man had so many intestines. He said to me, "It's a terrible thing to watch a man die. I hope you never have to do it."
I told this to a few people a couple of years ago, and they think it never happened, that Grandpa was putting me on.
Usually when Grandpa was teasing you, he had a twinkle in his eye. I remember thinking at the time that Grandpa did not have that twinkle when he told me. His face was very grave and his tone serious, so I thought he was telling me the truth.
What do you think? Truth? Or fiction?

4 comments:

Delirious said...

It sounds vaguely familiar, so I tend to think it happened.

OB Huntington Family said...

Dad has told me that story also, and the way he told it, I know that he did see that happen. Love your blogs. Keep in touch and have a sane/safe day......Blessings to all....Lonehawk

Inklings said...

Lonehawk, I am raising five little kids. There is no such thing as a sane day any more. :0) But we will try to stay safe.

Dee Ice Hole said...

I have no doubt that this is a true story---nothing in it ever changed---and his memory wasn't all that good---I sure do miss him.