One summer when I was little, Aunt May, for some reason I can't remember, had a big pile of sawdust in front of her house. Karleta and I were always fascinated with it when we went over to Aunt May's with our mothers, and they would always warn us away from it.
One day when we were bored, Karleta said she had a good idea for something to do. We could feed the red ants that swarmed the sawdust pile, because they obviously loved sawdust.
So we did. For a few minutes. Until we came running into Grandma's kitchen screaming our disobedient little heads off.
It must have been a Saturday night, because Grandma had the big metal tub out and it was full of water. Red ants were all over both of us, biting us, so Mom and Grandma each grabbed us and dunked us into the water in the tub, clothes and all.
Red ants filled the surface of the water. It was solid red ants, so they would scoop some of them out and throw them away, only to have more red ants float off of us and fill the surface again.
I remember Grandma gasping in horror, "My lands, they have even got red ants in their EYES!" And we did, and in our noses, ears, and everywhere else.
And all the time that Mom and Grandma were washing red ants off us, they were scolding us about playing on the ant hill after they'd warned us not to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Whoever posted this forgot to leave a name or at least a blogname. Please do so we know who it is.
My name is at the bottom by the comments. :0)
I made the mistake of standing in a red ant pile one time wh8ile I was with Dad who was fishing. Dad told me to jump up and down. I remember jumping and jumping to get them all off.
Post a Comment