Saturday, June 21, 2008

PECKING ORDER

When Marlene was only about 2 or 3 we went out to Hatch for our annual vacation. Mom usually dressed her in little summer dresses. Marlene would walk out into the barnyard and the old ornery rooster would fly up under her dress and peck her on her stomach, leaving a bloody mark. she would come into the house crying. This happened 3 or 4 times.
One day she came in crying and Grandma and Mom were looking at her pecked stomach and cussing the rooster when Grandpa came in. He asked why Marlene was crying, and Grandma told him. Grandpa hadn't known the rooster was doing that, and it made him mad. Grandpa said, "That rooster won't be hurting that little girl any more!"
He went out into the barnyard, grabbed the rooster's head, and wrung his neck. Then he plucked it and cleaned it and brought it into Grandma, who made chicken noodle soup for lunch. (Yes, you guessed it, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.) Every one chewed and chewed the chicken before they could swallow it, and Grandma said, "Well, that old rooster was so ornery and that must be why he's so tough."

3 comments:

OB Huntington Family said...

Funny thing about those old roosters, Grandma Evans had a mean old Rhode Island Red that used to chase me every time I went to Grandma place. One day, I decided to take a stick with me, and when the rooster come flying at me, I swung the stick as hard as I could and took his head off. I was so scared to tell Grandma, but she said that the old rooster had attacked her and she would put him in the pressure cooker and we would have chicken noodles. I remember that the chicken was tough, but the noodles were great..Keep in touch ....Lonehawk

Nene said...

I had another occasion that a different rooster tried to get me. He started chasing us and since I was the last one trying to climb the barnyard fence, he flew up on my back and was pecking the back of my neck. Aunt May came running over and grabbed him and got him off. I'm not sure if I remember right, but I think she also rung his neck right then and there. Of course this second incident incurred a fear of roosters on me that lasted quite a while.

Delirious said...

I remember Lyle had one peck his eye. He still has the scar in the white of his eye as far as I know.