Sunday, September 14, 2008

Grandpa's garden

I was thinking recently about Grandpa's garden. He definitely had a green thumb which I did NOT inherit. I would love to be a great gardener like him, but so far haven't mastered the art. But I remember that his gardens were always very productive. I mainly remember him growing green onions, radishes, and peas, but I think he may have also had some potatoes. Can anyone remember what else he grew? I think if he lived in a milder climate he could have grown anything he wanted.

Of course my favorite thing in his garden were the peas. To me, fresh peas (uncooked) were like candy. I was never quite sure if I was allowed to eat many of them, but I remember occasionally getting some from the garden. To me that was one of the greatest treats imaginable. I still love fresh peas! Recently I found that Costco sells a 2 lb. bag of them for I think $5.99. My family doesn't like them like I do, so even though I put them in Chinese cooking, most of them I eat myself. I really love them, and when I eat them, I think of Grandpa and Grandma.

Aunt Reva and Uncle Karl used to make "new peas and potatoes" quite often in the summer. I don't remember Grandma making that as much, but I really love it, even to this day. My kids think it is weird. Maybe it's an acquired taste?

One of my favorite memories is sitting down to a bowl of bread and milk with a plate of fresh vegetables from the garden, a few slices of cheese, and some raisins. I wish I had trained my kids to eat this when they were little, because I know they wouldn't go for it now. Maybe some day I'll become as good of gardener as Grandpa, and in our old age, my husband and I can eat bread and milk and vegetables for supper every night. :)

4 comments:

OB Huntington Family said...

The reason that dad and mom grew such good gardens, was that they had a young guy that was always in trouble and the punishment was that I had to weed so many rows of garden for my "time out" and as far as what they grew, there was corn, squash, rutabeggers (?), turnups,caulaflower, cabbage, and there was currents, gooseberries,rhubarb, I guess that is all I can remember now....love and blessings to all....Lonehawk

Twist said...

They also had rhubarb and asparagus. We picked pigweed for greens to eat. Most people know it as Lambs Quarters. If you like fresh green peas, try the white blossoms of yuccas or skinned pieces of the green seed pod. Yes, and "many parts of a pine tree are edible."

Nene said...

Hey, I'm going to Costco to get peas - I wonder if Sam's has them?And Twist - I am definitely NOT coming to your house for dinner!

Inklings said...

I remember once when Dad was out in the garden picking peas and eating them raw. I was weeding with Grandma, and I asked her if seh was mad that Dad was eating all her peas. She said, with a twinkle in her eye, "No, we don't get much with peas and don't think they are hardly worth planting, so we just plant some so your dad can eat them raw when he comes out here in the summer."