Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The D.U.P.

Well, that last post got me thinking about another topic, so I'll post two in a row. One of the causes that Grandma felt very strongly about was the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers society. For as long as I can remember, she was a member of D.U.P. Uncle Grant used to call it the "Did you pee" (sorry, just had to throw that in. :) Grandma was very involved with the D.U.P., and I believe she held a position, I think treasurer. I attended the meetings with her when I was living there.

One of the big projects that Grandma worked on was the museum that is in the old school house. She and Effel Riggs worked many hours to fix up that building. Grandma was always given bags of used clothing by people. She would inspect every piece of clothing and take out the ones that were useable, and give them away. The rest of the clothing she would cut up in to rags. She sold the rags for, I think it was a nickel a pound. She sold them to auto shops to use for oil rags. I remember watching her cut up rag after rag and put in big plastic bags. The money that she made she would give to the D.U.P museum fund. They also raised money in other ways. While I lived there, they had the inside painted and had the windows/ blinds/ curtains fixed. Since then, they have also fixed the floors.

Another project that she helped with was the History of Hatch that was written by Effel Riggs. Grandma also helped with some of the research and writing, and should probably have had her name as a co-author on that book. Sometime, I think after I had lived with her, she gave me a copy for Christmas. I do remember they had to come up with the money to have it published because it was self-published. That was another fund raising project that Grandma helped with.

I still attend D.U.P. now. It's not so much that I love it like Grandma did, but I know how much it meant to her, and how important she felt it was to attend, so I do it out of respect for her. But I do enjoy learning about the pioneers, and sharing my family histories occasionally. I can understand why Grandma felt so passionately about D.U.P.
Delirious

1 comment:

PsychDoctor said...

She used to work at the visitors center too...