Wednesday, August 13, 2008

GRANDMA'S SPOON BOWL

When I was a little girl, I thought one of the coolest things Grandma had was her Spoon Bowl. It was an enamelware bowl that she put spoons in and always kept on the table. She had a sugar bowl with a lid to match it. It wasn't fancy and wasn't in the greatest condition, but I thought it was so cool to keep a Spoon Bowl on the table. I loved to look at all the different spoons in the bowl. I'm not sure more than 2 or 3 matched. I loved to sit down to breakfast and be able to just reach over to the Spoon Bowl and "select" a spoon to use that morning to eat my cereal. I didn't just grab a spoon out of the bowl either. Oh no! I would carefully look at each spoon, looking for one of my favorites, hoping no one had chosen it already. I can't remember what all Grandma's spoons looked like, but I know she had several different patterns. I would select my spoon, and after using the Sugar Bowl to put sugar on my cereal or cracked wheat mush, I would eat breakfast with one of my favorite spoons and look at the Spoon Bowl and think that when I grew up, I would have a Spoon Bowl on my own table. But alas, I don't...

5 comments:

Inklings said...

Me too. :0)

Amber said...

ooo now i know what to get you for christmas - a handful of random spoons from goodwill! - yay! that'll be the cheapest present ever! LOL j/k ;)

Delirious said...

I remember that bowl too. Jody had a favorite spoon that had stars on it. I think he has that spoon. I think I might have one too, but I think I inherited it from some house I rented lol.

OB Huntington Family said...

I remember that spoon and sugar bowl from when I was a kid, they came from the CCC camp when it was moved to Zion Canyon. When they moved, they destroyed everything by chopping a hole in the bottom, but it was fixed up by Grandpa Evans, and sat on the kitchen table from then on...Love ya all.........Lonehawk

Twist said...

My favorite spoon was one of the ones with the bottle opener on the end.