Wednesday, February 11, 2009

GRANDMA'S BIRTHDAY CARDS

For some reason today I was thinking about the birthday cards Grandma used to send. We lived several states away from Grandma and Grandpa, but she always sent us a birthday card on our birthdays, and taped to the card was two shiny dimes! But the best thing about the card was that Grandma always wrote a letter or at least a long note on the birthday card. I think she couldn't resist some of those cards with nice empty pages on the inside, plus I'm sure she wanted to send a letter along as long as she was mailing it. I wished I had saved every single card and/or letter she ever wrote me. I have a few, but not all of them. It made me feel so important that my Grandma would take the time to sit down and write a letter to ME, even if it was my birthday.

3 comments:

Delirious said...

I remember that she bought boxes of cards from mail order. She had cards for every occasion. I also know from watching her that she looked carefully at the cards to select just the right one for each person. :)

Inklings said...

Mom told me not long ago that she wrote the poems she put in the card herself, making me wish I had saved everyone of them, because I didn't know that at the time. By the way, I only got one shiny dime. :0) Did Grandma like you best, or was it inflation and you were younger? She also gave us children collectively a subsciption to The Children's Friend magazine.

Dee Ice Hole said...

She liked me best because she gave me teh Garfield County News....