Thursday, April 22, 2010

Zion Bridge


This is the stone bridge that Grandpa helped erect during the Depression. He would stay down during the week and come home on weekends. He told his family that he was building the most beautiful bridge there ever was, because each rock was a different color. By coincidence, my dad's father also helped build this bridge.
Mom told me that once they took a trip to St. George, driving through Zion. Their car had a rumble seat, and the girls were in the rumble seat. When they went into the tunnel, there was a dirt slide blocking the road. The tunnel just had all dirt sides then. They had to wait a long time in pitch black while men dug them out, and the girls were so frightened that they put a quilt up over their heads.
Now tourists from all over the world come and admire Grandpa's work. :0)

6 comments:

Nene said...

Thanks for posting this. I never knew about the bridge and had never heard the story about the dirt slide.

Inklings said...

I heard the dirt slide story again this last time I took Mom to the dr. This time she said that she was 8 and they were on their way to the temple to be sealed.

Delirious said...

I had heard the same thing, that it happened when they were going to the temple to be sealed. She also said that after they were sealed, they stopped at some hot springs along the way to swim.

PsychDoctor said...

The hot springs are probably the ones in Hurricane...just across the bridge that spans that huge gorge...

PsychDoctor said...

I thought it was great-great grandpa Huntington...but here is a link to two other pictures I took recently.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houstonryan/8084332593/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houstonryan/8084334745/in/photostream/

Delirious said...

I never heard the story with connection to your links PsychDoctor. I only heard about the one in the picture above. (Thought I posted this comment once, but it didn't appear. :S)