Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Christmas Memories

I only remember going to Hatch for Christmas twice when I was a child. It's possible we went more, but that's all I remember. I think those were the only two times in my childhood that we didn't have Christmas at home.

One of the times we went was when I was a teenager. I remember that in the early morning hours, I heard the sleigh bells outside the house. Even though I wasn't a young child anymore, it was still a little eerie, and really made me exicted for Christmas.

I remember that Kent and I went and tried to ski down the hill in Aunt May's field. I don't remember what we used, but it wasn't real skis. I don't think I did very well. I also remember that we went with all of the cousins tubing in the snow. I have a very vivid memory of Kurt going down the hill on his tube very fast.....very, very fast. It seems like he hit a bump, and hit a tree, and nearly broke his neck. I actually have thought of that one occurance often in my life, especially when I see kids tubing. I think he is lucky he didn't break his neck.

Another memory I have is of the gifts Grandma and Grandpa would give. Grandma used to order a lot of things by mail order. I remember that for awhile she bought Raleigh products. I can't remember what other companies she ordered from, but I remember that when I lived with her, we always had fun opening the boxes because sometimes the company would throw in some free gifts with her order. She would take those free gifts and tuck them away to give for Christmas presents. I always thought that the gifts she sent were interesting. One year she sent me an owl necklace. The next year she sent me another owl necklace, slightly different from the first. One year she sent me a contraption that is supposed to attach to your bra to hide money in. lol I sort of wish I still had that. lol

My favorite Christmas memory in connection with Grandma is of her nativity scene. Her visiting teacher, Adelle Riggs, made her a ceramic nativity set for Christmas one year. It had Mary, and Joseph, and a manger, and a baby Jesus that was detachable from the manger. Grandma had found a Playschool toy lamb that she added to the scene, and also a plastic deer. I think there was one other toy animal that she put with the set. It was kind of quirky, but I loved it. After Grandma died, Mom had a collection of stuff that she was allowing everyone to "draw out" for. I drew out this nativity set. It has been one of my prized possessions.

I'm interested to read what other people remember about Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Delirious

No comments: