Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Memories

As several of my family have bloged their christmas stories, I was thinking of one of the best Christmas that I could remember as a young boy...
This Christmas was about 1936 or around there some where, and Dad was working for the WPA expected to be home for Christmas, but on Christmas eve, he wasnt there, and there was no money in the house to get anything for the kids, so Mom stayed up late and made things for us kids. I remember that the girls got rag dolls, and I got a bean bag and a box with a hole for a target. But the best present of all was that Dad got there late at night and was there for Christmas morning.
It seemed, that they were coming home and run into a bad snow storm and when they were able to get to Panguitch, the only store that was open was the drug store, so Dad went in the store, and the only thing that they had for Christmas candy was Malted Milk balls, and Lemon drops, which he bought some bags of them. I can still remember how good they tasted and I still love them even today.
It wasnt the fact that there wasnt any presents under the tree, or the lack of goodies to eat, it was the fact that we were all there as a family and enjoyed each others love and companionship. I can remember playing with the Bean bag for a long time tossing the bag into the hole from different angles and different distances.....to this day, I still like to play the bean bag game.
Keep the blogs coming, I read all of them each day that I can, and this helps me keep up on the happenings of the family....Love em ! .......sending love and blessings to all.............Lonehawk

No comments: