Monday, August 31, 2009

Coffin Canes


According the the information I read, Dimmick Huntington's cane is the only known existing cane left. The canes were made from the wood of the first coffin in which Joseph Smith was buried. At least 7 canes were made. The handle had a metal covering with a round hole in it. Through the round hole was a piece of the glass that had been in the lid of the coffin, a window to see the deceased. Beneath the glass was some of the Prophet's hair, which was removed from his head by William Huntington 7 months after the initial burial. I am attaching a picture of Willard Richards with his cane.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some years ago, I heard of one of the canes that belonged to Clark Allen, and was left with O.B.H in Springville, and was to be picked up later by him, but he never come back to get it.
The cane was in the posission of May H. and so my daughter Ellen and I went there and was able to handle and examine the cane for quite some time. May H. said that she didnt know what to do with the cane, as her son didnt want anything to do with it. I told her that I was the oldest son of O.B.H who was the oldest son of Clark Allen, and the cane should be mine, but that I thought that it should be taken to the authorities at the church, which I believe she did. I have quite a document on the cane and pictures of it. I will try to get Dot to copy the information and let me put it on the e-mail system, or the blog for all to see......
Keep in touch and sending love and blessings..........Lonehawk

Nene said...

I also thought I read that the reason they got the wood and the glass and the hair is because they were the people who removed Joseph's body from the first grave(one hidden from the mobs so they couldn't desecrate it) to his final grave. They were also loyal followers (and in some cases bodyguards) of Joseph and so were honored in this way.

Inklings said...

Someone told me there is a cane in the church history museum in Salt Lake (I haven't seen it), but once when I was first married a girl in our ward told me her family had possession of one of them.
Maybe May H. gave this one to the church history museum? If anyone goes to that museum, see who the donor is. :0)

Twist said...

You are all right. I liked the Willard Richards picture because it is the only picture I've seen so far. Anyone who wants the whole article on the canes, let me know and I'll email it to you. I couldn't attach it here as a file.