Friday, October 17, 2008

Another Poem about Grandma

I was looking at the history that Mom and Dad A sent to the family. As I paged through, I found this entry, and thought I would post it.

"Mom, we want you to know how much we love you. You and Dad are always doing so much for us. I am not a poet, but all of a sudden I felt like writing a poem, so here it is."

Mother, you've had much toil and strife
Some things I'll remember all my life.

The less fortunate you've fed and clothed
Many friends you've made and friendships you wove

Many's the time you've lent or gave
Without a thought for yourself to save

The people who traveled through our town
You aided and helped with never a frown.

Your humble doors are opened wide
All who enter feel the welcome side.

If anyone's sick with some ill fate
You help them out, your dishes can wait.

If love is there a child can tell,
All children know "Aunt Velma" is swell.

People love you wherever you go
They don't always show it, but they've told me so.

I remember a time a boy in trouble got,
He ran to "Aunt Velma", she's the first one he sought.

He remembered you saying, back through the years,
"You're not ugly child, I like your ears."

A mother to all you've always been.
Here's love from our family, your Allred kin.

Happy Mother's Day!
Beth Allred, May 1959


Interesting to see the comparison to how we each wrote about Grandma.

Take care. Stick.

1 comment:

Nene said...

Thanks for posting that!